Election Day Date

(top photo: Unsplash.com)

It’s been a minute since I wrote a post and trust me, a lot has happened from when I left Croatia until now. I’ve been living in Southeast Asia for a little over a month and damn dude this place is amazing. How have I never been here before?

After close to 48 hours of travel from Croatia through Qatar and then to our new homes in Malaysia, what was the first item on the agenda upon arrival?  The wifi password, of course!  November was a short month in Kuala Lumpur and it was time to start swiping, nothing worse than wasted time.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with the Tinder scene here in Asia, but of course I was curious to see what the game was out there, figured it would probably consist of a bunch of backpackers and I was pretty much right.  Turns out that Bumble kind of exists here, which I personally prefer to Tinder, so I was pumped to see a few good looking / well-traveled dudes on there.

I saw one profile that said he lived in Indonesia, immediate #swiperight and a match.  His profile also said that he went to a college back in the States that I’m super familiar with so it was a great conversation starter.  We chatted for a bit about the small world we live in, and what were the chances that we’re from similar places in the states but happen to be however many thousands of miles away from home.  Coincidence? I think not.

One important fact to note here is that we happened to match on Election Day, and luckily his political views were the same as mine so we were able to relate about the current state of America.

Before the election results had been announced, we made plans to meet that evening and he suggested the Heli Lounge which is swanky AF.  It’s a legit bar on a helicopter pad right in the middle of the city with sick views of the Petronas Towers.  I knew I liked him before I even met him.  After the election results were announced, I was happy to be with a fellow (very handsome) American to keep me distracted from what had just happened at home.

 We carried the night on and ended up at the Jalan Alor street for some traditional Malaysian Street food.   And in true RY situations, we bumped into a few of my friends who asked if I was on a date.  Duh. Don’t they know me at all by now? 

As timing would have it, I had to head into the office to start work for the day.  He walked me to the office with the promise of seeing me the following day and I was left to answer emails with tears in my eyes, unable to fully process what had just happened.  I realized that what I didn’t need was to be alone thinking about it, so I texted him and luckily he felt the same way so he kept me company while I finished up my workday at 6am.  If that’s not love, then I don’t know what is.  

We spent the whole next day together, going from one food stall to the next and eventually ending up at dinner with my girlfriends.  I think he did pretty well meeting the crew, especially considering the fact that I had only met him a mere 26 hours earlier.

Our whirlwind romance came to an end that night when I started work and he headed to the airport to fly home to Indo.  Not to worry though, we’ve been texting and now I’ll just sit back and wait for my invite to Indo to come in the mail.

(top photo: Unsplash.com)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: